Saturday, November 17, 2018

Marshmello (2) - Week of November 17, 2018

And I'm back for another week! We had some interesting jumps and drops this week, with the best of the bunch staying towards the top. (Side note: This is my second time typing this, since my stupid ass deleted the first one by accident.) No exits, so let's just jump into it.

The Countdown

45. Bazzi/Camila Cabello - Beautiful (#43)
44. George Ezra - Shotgun (#42)
43. NF - Lie (#45)
42. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood (#28)
41. Kim Petras - Heart To Break (#35)
40. Tiesto & Dzeko/Preme/Post Malone - Jackie Chan (#34)
39. Taylor Swift - Delicate (#23)
38. Bryce Vine - Drew Barrymore (#30)
37. Panic! at the Disco - Say Amen (Saturday Night) (#40)
36. Juice WRLD - Lucid Dreams (#35)
35. Charlie Puth - The Way I Am (#17)
34. LSD - Thunderclouds (#33)
33. Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes (#38)
32. Zedd/Maren Morris/Grey - The Middle (#30)
31. Backstreet Boys - Don't Go Breaking My Heart (#28)
30. Ariana Grande - God is a woman (#21)
29. Maroon 5/Cardi B - Girls Like You (#13)
28. NOTD/Bea Miller - I Wanna Know (#27)
27. Twenty One Pilots - My Blood (#34)
26. Selena Gomez - Back To You (#23)
25. Pitbull/Theron Theron - Free Free Free (#20)
24. Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper - Shallow (#19)
23. Loud Luxury/brando - Body (#25)
22. Ariana Grande - breathin (#29)
21. Alex Aiono - Big Mistake (#32)
20. Benny Blanco/Halsey/Khalid - Eastside (#31)
19. The Struts/Kesha - Body Talks (#22)
18. The Chainsmokers/Emily Warren - Side Effects (#16)
17. Walk The Moon - Kamikaze (#24)
16. Silk City/Dua Lipa - Electricity (#14)
15. Dan + Shay - Tequila (#15)
14. Calvin Harris/Sam Smith - Promises (#18)
13. lovelytheband - Broken (#10)
12. Halsey - Without Me (#12)
11. Shawn Mendes/Zedd - Lost In Japan (#11)
10. Bebe Rexha - I'm A Mess (#5)
9. Panic! at the Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#26)
8. Anne-Marie - 2002 (#9)
7. Fall Out Boy - The Last of the Real Ones (#6)
6. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#7)
5. Imagine Dragons - Natural (#8)
4. Khalid/Normani - Love Lies (#4)
3. Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes (#2)
2. 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood (#3)
1. Marshmello/Bastille - Happier (#1) [2nd Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Charlie Puth - The Way I Am (-22)
Biggest Jump Of The Week: Panic! at the Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (+17) 







Trance Does Blurbs Now? What Is This?

~ So Happier stayed at #1. The more I listen to this song, the more I relate with it and therefore get into it. Chris and Dan have incredible teamwork and I'm certainly glad to have this song up at the top.

~ Out of the rest of the top 5, High Hopes would be my pick for #1 outside of Happier. Love Lies would be OK for Khalid to finally get a top song, but the former would be better.

~ You might be asking "Why does he love 2002 so much?" Well, full disclosure, if you've been following my blog, you know I'm a big sucker for "sweet songs" - songs that are pleasant to listen to and describe love in its purest form. When Anne-Marie reminisces about her childhood, it takes the listener back to their own and what they might have experienced back then. And with her beautiful voice, she creates a song that is just plain pure from start to finish. It's a longshot, but I really hope this gets to #1 soon. (Side note: I really hope Adrian doesn't hate me because of my opinion of this song. Or Without Me. Or Broken. Or Tequila. Or Kamikaze. Or Girls Like You. Or Hey Look Ma, I Made It.)

~ Speaking of, what the hell happened with that jump? High Hopes was doing quite well for itself with 7 previous weeks at the top, but now Hits 1 being Panic fans put these two very close together and sadly, the inferior one is on the rise.

~ Another controversial opinion incoming: Happy Now is way better than Lost In Japan and it should never have left. Let the flame war begin...

~ Broken being in the position it is, much less the countdown in general just disgusts me. This was a song released on April 13, 2017 (per Wikipedia) and here it is at a stupidly high position at the end of the following year. I mean, the song is decent, but it's been around way too long.

~ Four words: Why did Electricity drop?

~ Kamikaze. Just Kamikaze. As a fervent Alt Nation listener I was bombarded with this song over the summer and it was okay at first, but now the fact that it's doing so well on this station is super annoying. Out. NOW.

~ Eastside got the jump it deserved! Of course, having Halsey and Khalid on the song certainly helped.

~ Big Mistake also jumped! Can't wait until this becomes old in two months.

~ I've really grown into breathin. When I heard no tears left to cry in April, I was really excited for Ariana's future... and then God is a woman came along. But finally we have a new Sweetener single that's decent enough and I can't wait for its inevitable rise.

~ Body's spot puzzles me. How an ordinary EDM song, good at best, from two unknown artists has managed to climb this high simply befuddles me.

~ Goodbye in advance, Back To You. It's been fun.

~ It's nice to see My Blood doing well. Fun fact: I saw them perform this song live *cough cough* on their Bandito Tour *cough* Bragging? What bragging?

~ Hallelujah for Girls Like You's drop! This song is just an example of Maroon 5 trying to be something that they're not and it actually offends me due to listening to a lot of them when I was younger. Cardi B's song redeems it, but only slightly. Sure, these two might have collaborated, but good lord this was overhyped.

~ WHY The Middle. This stopped being good three or four months ago! Hits 1 listeners, please stop voting for this song. It's not spring or summer anymore and it won't be for a while.

~ And what is there to say about the complete and utter piece of shit Drew Barrymore (the song)? This is a very weirdly structured song by another aspiring star trying to make it, and the wordplay that he throws in is unnecessary and just painful. I will be shocked if it sticks around at least until Christmas, because this is just plain bad.

~ Delicate, you're a good song, but you didn't have to stay for this long. Please stop annoying people to the point of snapping with your tenure. And sure, Taylor Swift, but still. #DelicateHasAttachmentIssues



~ And now, the Heart To Break Rant. Here we have a woman with a fantastic voice bringing us a solid pop song in the mostly rap-infested culture of 2018, and on here it's #41. Number. Forty. One. I encourage everyone reading this to right this wrong and vote for Heart To Break (and others) in hopes of a longer tenure.


~ Beautiful's position is another confusing one. I feel like I've seen this all the time on the iTunes charts, yet it's at rock bottom here. Strange.


~ While I haven't listened to Hit-Bound, I definitely will soon. My current #1 recommendation for Hits 1 is The Regrettes - California Friends. If you haven't already, give it a listen (it's really good).

Top 5 Picks: 


1. Marshmello/Bastille - Happier
2. Anne-Marie - 2002
3. Silk City/Dua Lipa - Electricity
4. Kim Petras - Heart To Break
5. Benny Blanco/Halsey/Khalid - Eastside

Bottom 5 Picks:


1. Bryce Vine - Drew Barrymore
2. Walk The Moon - Kamikaze
3. Maroon 5/Cardi B - Girls Like You
4. Dan + Shay - Tequila
5. Zedd/Maren Morris/Grey - The Middle

That's it for me. Boy, was it refreshing to get those opinions off my chest. (Hopefully you guys weren't TOO offended by them.) I should really do this more often... See you next week, everyone!

-t/c/c/c 

4 comments: